By Dom Nozzi
There has been an ideological split on the political left in America in recent times. Many who call themselves “progressive” are actually politically regressive, as I show below. I want no part of that way of thinking.
I am a classical progressive. I believe in…
- Fairness (no double standards) and liberty (as long as you are not hurting others).
- Doing to others what I would have them do to me.
- The welfare and sustainability of the individual, family, neighborhood, community, nation.
- On military issues, I am a strong anti-interventionist and oppose all wars unless the US is being attacked on US soil and we must defend ourselves. I believe the military budget should be cut at least 90-95 percent. The US should end all of its many wars (which are nearly always wars of aggression), and eliminate all of its approximately 1,000 military bases around the world.
- On criminal justice, I am strongly in favor of rehabilitation rather than retribution for the incarcerated. We need to make all drugs legal. We need to eliminate private prisons.
- I am strongly pro-abortion and pro-gay rights.
- On religion, I strongly believe churches should not be tax-exempt, and that most all religion-based laws should be repealed.
- I strongly support much stronger gun regulation.
- I strongly support forever ending road and highway widening. I strongly support narrowing a great many existing roads and highways, and strongly support instituting road and highway tolling on a large number of roadways and highways. I support a higher gas tax.
- I strongly support compact, higher-density, mixed-use development.
- I strongly oppose the death penalty.
- I strongly oppose US support for Israel – particularly financial.
- I strongly oppose the massive federal subsidies for corn (and Big Ag).
- I support higher taxes for those who are relatively wealthy, but also for those less wealthy (“I like paying taxes…Doing so gives me civilization”).
- I strongly support substantially increased transit funding – particularly for the purpose of restoring high-quality national passenger rail.
- I oppose NAFTA, TPP and other agreements that hurt the working class in the US.
- I support universal health care (Medicare for All) and free college.
- I support much more funding for education.
- I support a reform of nutrition guidelines to promote health and drastically reduce obesity. This means that guidelines promote low-carb, high-fat diets.
- I strongly support campaign finance reform.
- I strongly support more strict regulations for Wall Street and Freddie May/Fannie Mac.
- I strongly support elimination of “gross domestic product” (GDP) and replacing it with “gross national happiness” (GNH).
- I strongly believe that all US cities must drastically cut its funding of bloated police and fire departments.
- I support free speech – including speech that I disagree with.
- I support making people happy rather than motor vehicles.
- I support methods that build sustainable and successful adults, families, neighborhoods, communities, and nation.
- I believe we should reward individuals based on merit, not group identity.
- I support Martin Luther King’s call for equality of opportunity rather than equality of outcome.
- Education and science are extremely valuable, admirable, and essential for success for individuals and the community. Individuals should be taught to enjoy engaging in self-education for life.
- Whites or males are not guilty of injustices that may have been engaged in by ancestors long ago. “Original sin” is patently unfair, in other words.
- I reject Marxist economics and what some call “cultural Marxism” (the ideas of group identity, group merit, group guilt, and splitting humans into “oppressors” or “oppressed”).
- Civilized behavior is essential. Laws, and civil behavior, correctly speaking the language of the nation you live in, civilized dress, and personal hygiene are not “racist” or an “attack on diversity.” Abandoning such cultural rules and laws leads to barbarism.
I have held the thoughts expressed in the above list for much of my life (mostly created by what I have experienced in my life, what I have been taught, and what I have read). These views are not because of “indoctrination” or “drinking the Kool-Aid” or “alien abduction.”
The Regressive Left
It is extremely important for me to point out that my views above generally represent the classical, long-standing positions of the politically progressive left.
There is a newly emerging and starkly distinct political left as I write this in 2020. This is a crusading, righteous, intolerant political left that has lost its mind and is more accurately called the regressive left – a version that is giving the classical progressive viewpoint a black eye because many confuse the two with being one in the same.
The views held by me and others on the classical progressive left are nearly the opposite of today’s regressive left. Members of the regressive left are often referred to as “social justice warriors” or “woke” or “antifa.”
The regressive left, in contrast to the progressive left, tends to take the following stances…
- Separating us into competing, divisive, antagonistic groups (“oppressors” and “oppressed”) rather than evaluating us as individuals.
- Demanding equality of outcome rather than equality of opportunity. Inequality of outcome is, by definition, a sure sign of discrimination and oppression.
- “Oppressor” individuals should be canceled, shamed, shouted down, censored, insulted, assaulted, and have their reputation and career destroyed.
- Safe spaces are necessary on school campuses because certain words or ideas are “dangerous.”
- Words can cause physical violence to the “oppressed.”
- Unfair advantages such as affirmative action, “diversity” efforts, and welfare should be given to individuals who are members of “oppressed” groups based not on merit, but simply skin color, gender, or sexuality.
- Anyone who does not fully buy into the wokester secular religious dogma is a fascist.
- Diversity of skin color, gender, or sexuality is by definition always good and always necessary. Diversity of thought is not.
- Authoritarian, bullying, violent actions by such groups as Antifa are righteous and opposed to fascism – in the same Orwellian way that black is white.
- Masculinity is toxic and sexuality is dangerous. Men should be neutered eunuchs. A sex-negative attitude is politically correct and women should not dress in a sexually appealing way, as this “objectifies” them. Women can tell sexual jokes or fondle and kiss men they are not in a relationship with. Men, however, cannot do these things.
- It is acceptable to discriminate against white men.
- “Reparations” are an appropriate way to correct historical wrongs committed by “oppressor” groups.
- Whites or males are forever guilty of the “original sin” of what their ancestors may have done long ago to “oppress” members of “oppressed” groups.
- Science and education are to be distrusted because it is “white,” “western,” “male supremacist” or “patriarchal.” There are better ways to know “truth,” and this “knowledge” can only come from “oppressed” people such as blacks, women, or sexual minorities.
In sum, I am a proud member of the classical progressive left, and have no allegiance with or sympathy for the regressive left I describe above. It is an agenda of intolerant, authoritarian, unfair regressiveness rather than progressiveness. Of all the political affiliations in existence today, the regressive left is the most dangerous. The most worthy of disdain.